Admissions for Residential Care and Respite Care
Our Admissions Director is here to guide applicants through the admissions process and can be reached at:
Phone: (808) 395-1000
Fax: (808) 395-8487
Who is Eligible?
Any adult senior who is ambulatory or independently mobile with devices and in need of minimal to moderate supervision and/or assistance with personal care needs (Activities of Daily Living (ADLs)) is eligible to apply for admission to Lunalilo Home as a Residential Care and/or Respite Care resident. We welcome seniors of both Hawaiian and non-Hawaiian ancestry. In keeping with King William Charles Lunalilo’s will, priority will be given to kūpuna of Hawaiian ancestry.
Our residents are part of a vibrant kūpuna community. New residents must be able to adjust to group living through the many recreational, cultural and spiritual activities that we host and provide.
How to Apply
Any individual or organization may refer prospective residents to Lunalilo Home. Any individual or his/her physician, health care agency representative, social worker or family member can submit an application.
The application process is as follows:
1. Complete and submit a Resident Application Packet. The Resident Application Packet includes:
- A General Application Form to be completed by the prospective resident or their responsible party.
- Primary Care Physician’s Forms to be completed by the physician on behalf of the prospective resident. All prospective residents must be examined by a licensed physician within three (3) months prior to admission.
- A two-step tuberculosis (TB) clearance.
- A current TB clearance or a chest X-ray performed within one (1) year prior to the date of the Admissions Packet submission confirming that the prospective resident does not have active TB.
- An Admission Suitability Guide.
- The Hawai‘i State Level of Care (LOC) Form OHCA ARCH N2.
- Verification of Income.
- A copy of the prospective applicant’s birth certificate.
- A copy of the prospective applicant’s Power of Attorney (POA) documents.
- A copy of the prospective applicant’s funeral plan.
- A one-time $50 application fee (checks may be made out to: Lunalilo Home).
2. An appointment will be scheduled for an interview and further evaluation with the prospective resident and his/her family members/caregivers. All prospective residents are assessed prior to admission.
After admission, if subsequent determination is made by the Home’s staff that a resident is no longer deemed appropriate for the program, the resident will be dis-enrolled.
Resident Services Subsidy Program
It is the policy of Lunalilo Home to primarily admit Hawaiians (of aboriginal blood) who are poor, destitute and infirm. Such individuals must satisfactorily demonstrate (1) Hawaiian extraction, (2) financial situation, and (3) health status in keeping with the facilities and services provided by the Home. To the extent there are available bed spaces at the Home and as provided by law, preference will first be given to elderly Hawaiians and then to the general elderly community who are able to pay the full cost of residence at the Home.
Native Hawaiians who satisfy admission requirements and who demonstrate financial need (defined as insufficient liquid and/or non-liquid assets to pay monthly resident fees) are eligible to apply for resident service subsidies from Lunalilo Home subject to the availability of funding. The Home staff will notify those who are eligible to apply for resident service subsidies.
Funds available for subsidy are limited to those raised from charitable donations, proceeds from fundraisers, and investment earnings from the Lunalilo Trust. Consequently, subsidized residents and/or their loved ones are asked to contribute whatever is financially feasible to cover their resident service fees in order to ensure that Lunalilo Home can continue to serve those in greatest need of assistance.
Admissions for Adult Day Care
We welcome new applicants for our Adult Day Care program year-round.
Our Adult Day Care Director is here to guide applicants through the admissions process and can be reached at:
Phone: (808) 395-4065
Fax: (808) 395-8487
The application process is as follows:
1. Complete and submit an Adult Day Care Application Packet. The Adult Day Care Application Packet includes:
For you to keep:
- General Requirements and Eligibility
- Summary Schedule of Rates & Fees
- Participant’s Rights
For you to complete and return to the King Lunalilo Adult Day Care Center:
- Participation Agreement
- Authorization for Disclosure of Health Information (HIPAA)
- Photography Waiver
- One-time registration fee of $50 (checks may be made out to: Lunalilo Home)
- “Getting to Know You” form
For your doctor to complete and for you to return to the King Lunalilo Adult Day Care Center:
- Diet Order Request
- Physical Examination Form
- Two-Step Tuberculosis Clearance Form
- (By Request) Physician’s Examination and Orders (only if medication will be dispensed at the King Lunalilo Adult Day Care Center, by licensed staff)
2. An appointment will be scheduled for an interview and further evaluation with the prospective client and his/her family members/caregivers. All prospective clients are assessed prior to admission.
Signing Up for Meals-to-Go
Lunalilo Home’s Meals-to-Go is a food service program dedicated to seniors in East O‘ahu who would like to pick up local style, nutritious meals. Ready to heat and eat, our meals are perfect for seniors living independently.
Persons 60 years of age or older who are homebound and unable to shop or prepare their own meals may also be eligible for home-delivered meals offered through Lunalilo Home’s partnership with the Hawaii Meals on Wheels program.
For more information and to sign up to participate in Lunalilo Home’s Meals-to-Go program, contact our Dietary Manager at (808) 395-1000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participating in Caregiver Support Programs
Lunalilo Home seeks ways to support professional and family caregivers in providing respectful, loving, and quality care for kūpuna. We are committed to providing kūpuna-centered care in partnership with family members, and encourage the involvement, engagement, and support of families in caring for their loved ones.
For more information about our Caregiver Workshops and Caregiver Support Groups, contact us at (808) 395-1000 or email email@example.com. Sign up for our mailing and/or email list to receive our quarterly newsletter and periodic updates and information about kūpuna care.